MEWP Safe Use Plan: Occupant Instruction
by Scott Owyen - Director of Training On May 10, 2019, 03:00 AM
Subscribe To Aerial Pros
Filter by tags
The operator of a mobile elevating work platform (MEWP) is responsible for providing instruction or confirming that all occupants have received instructions to have a basic level of knowledge to work safely on the MEWP. To ensure that this process happens, you should include instruction within your safe use plan. Here is an overview of what needs to be covered with an occupant before he or she goes up in a MEWP. 1) Personal Fall Protection Equipment requirement for MEWP or jobsite
- If no — Explain that the guardrail system on this machine provides fall protection for the occupants in the platform
- If yes — Explain the purpose of the harness and lanyard, ensure that all occupants are properly fitted with the appropriate PFPE, identify the locations of the lanyard attachment points and ensure that all occupants are properly secured.
- Do not lean over the platform guardrail
- Maintain a firm footing on the platform floor at all times, do not climb up on the toe guard, mid rail or top rail
- Do not jump up and down or shake the platform.
- Do not push off or pull toward any object outside the platform.
- Do not touch the platform controls.
- Explain the proper and safe use of the accessory, including any hazards that may be associated with its use.
- This will vary from site to site but may include the requirements to use PFPE and other personal protective equipment (PPE) such as hard hat, steel toed boots, gloves, and safety vest, vehicle or pedestrian right of way, driving in the stowed position only, honking the horn prior to driving the machine, etc..
- This will also vary from site to site and it is a requirement that a detailed risk assessment is performed before bringing the MEWP into the workplace.
- Bring a copy of the most current risk assessment to review with occupants
- Remove the operator’s manual from the weather‐resistant storage box on the platform and review the various warnings and instructions identified by the manufacturer.
- Explain that the operator’s manual must be kept on the MEWP at all times when not in use by the operator.
- The intended purpose and function of the MEWP platform controls
- The intended purpose and function of the safety‐related items specified by the manufacturer, including secondary guarding systems and emergency shut‐down procedures, and the intended use and function of the lowering procedures, to the extent required to lower the MEWP safely to the ground or the stowed position.