Recommending the Right MEWP
by Genie On Nov 28, 2019, 03:00 AM
Subscribe To Aerial Pros
Filter by tags
In today’s competitive market, we, at Genie, know that it is more important than ever for you to establish and earn your rental customers’ respect as a trusted advisor. As you know, this includes being intentional in your interactions with them and actively listening to understand their equipment needs.
One of the best ways to help your customers with their aerial equipment needs is to familiarize yourself with their jobsite environments. This information will allow you to recommend the right mobile elevating work platform (MEWP) — or more commonly known as aerial work platforms (AWPs) — for their projects. Below are questions that you can ask your customers in order to make the best equipment recommendation.
- Who will use the equipment?
- How many people will be in the platform at once?
- Will they need operator or familiarization training?
- What kind of work will be performed?
- What are you lifting, and how much does it weigh?
- What are the obstacles on the worksite?
- Are there unusual work conditions or multiple shifts?
- What is your power source preference?
- Where will the equipment be used?
- Are you working on a single site or multiple sites?
- Is the work indoors, outdoors, or combination?
- What site characteristics influence the lift's use?
- Do you need to drive up or down a ramp?
- Do you need doorway access? Single, double or larger?
- Is the terrain level?
- Is there a slab, concrete, or asphalt floor?
- Will you have narrow or congested access?
- Is it a caustic or hazardous environment?
- Will fuel be readily available?
- Is there access to electricity on site?
- How will the equipment be used?
- How high do you need to reach or work?
- How much outreach is needed?
- How will you transport the equipment?
- When will the equipment be used? For how long?
Customers come to you not just for equipment, but they are also seeking your expert advice for their worksites at height so understanding MEWP products and recommending the right one is key to building long-term customer relationships.
My advice to you: Stay curious and ask the customer questions in order to better understand their equipment needs. These questions will provide you with valuable insight, and from there, you will be able to recommend the right MEWP for the job.