Changes to Genie® Scissor Lifts and Vertical Mast Lifts You Need to Know About
by Michael Flanagan - Product Manager On Feb 20, 2020, 03:00 AM
Subscribe To Aerial Pros
Filter by tags
When the new ANSI A92 (United States) and CSA B354 (Canada) standards go into effect, they will drive alignment with ISO standards, which impacts the way aerial access equipment is designed, manufactured, maintained and operated globally. Because all Genie scissor lifts and vertical mast lifts will now be manufactured in compliance with global standards, it’s important for rental businesses worldwide — and customers — to prepare for what’s changing.
ISO standards incorporate requirements from the European EN280 and Australian AS 1418.10, which call for several big changes in aerial work platforms (AWPs), which will now be known as mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), to now be included in North American aerial equipment. This includes features like platform load sense and outdoor height limiting on all Genie® GS™ scissor lifts and GR™ vertical mast lifts.
Platform Load Sense
Following in the footsteps of EN280, the European standard in effect since 2001, all Genie scissor lifts and vertical mast lifts, no matter where they are owned and operated, will now be equipped with platform load sense.
Also known as an overload system or load sense system, platform load sense assesses the weight of operators and equipment in the work platform and will only allow machine operation if the total load is within the rated capacity of the machine.
Equipment with a load sensing system will monitor the platform load in the MEWP and disable functionality if the rated capacity is exceeded.
Outdoor Height Limiting
To increase productivity in both indoor and outdoor applications across all Genie GS slab scissor lift and GR vertical mast lift models and eliminate the need for indoor-only rated machines, outdoor-use capabilities will be available on all Genie lifts equipped with the Genie Smart Link™ dual zone control.
To do this, two buttons will be added to the platform control, requiring the operator to select the “Indoor” or “Outdoor” zone of operation. When the “Outdoor” zone is selected, maximum platform height operation will be restricted.
Customers can identify a Genie GS and GR dual zone lift model in two ways:
- The platform control includes indoor and outdoor zone buttons
- The Genie Smart Link decal on the platform toeboard has been updated to indicate dual zone control
With the introduction of the Genie Smart Link dual zone control, outdoor operation is now enabled on all Genie GS and GR lift models, which:
- Eliminates the complexity of having to manage a fleet of indoor-use only scissor lifts for its rental customers
- And, minimizes the impact to machine performance — like ramp climbing and runtime — and improved jobsite access— by reducing floor loading and machine weight
Other Changes to Know About
In addition to the big changes already mentioned, there will be many seemingly smaller, but just as important, alterations for rental businesses and customers to pay attention to, including:
- Caution tape around the extension deck perimeter
- Toeboards on the platform entrance
- Guardrail height must be 1.1 m (3 ft 7 in)
- Genie scissor lifts previously equipped with fixed guardrails as standard, including the Genie GS-1530, GS-1930 and GS-2032 models, will now require folding guardrails
- Standard swing gates on the platforms
- Lanyard attachment points must be rated and labelled for either fall restraint or fall arrest.
- In most cases, Genie scissors will be rated for fall arrest
- Outdoor occupancy limiting
- Updated decals, including an annual inspection decal
- Serial plate changes, including the unit’s ANSI certification
- New printed manuals will be included on each lift model
- Air-filled tyres will no longer be available for Genie GS-90 RT models
These changes are intended to provide scissor lift and vertical mast lift owners and operators with the latest advancements in safe work at height solutions that globally enable operators to complete aerial work safely.
Our Commitment to the Industry
At Genie, we continue to evaluate and manufacture our products to meet, and in some cases exceed, the most current industry standards worldwide. This our guarantee to our customers that we will continue to provide them with the best safe work at height solutions possible.